Sunday 16 August 2015

An insight into the inspirations & techniques of ADO artist Graham Ibson

'The Titanic Violin 1912' by Graham Ibson

Hello art bloggers.  I have always been fascinated by the tragic maiden voyage of the Titanic in 1912. This watercolour was inspired by the sale of the Titanic Violin in 2013 for a record sum of £900,000.

The story behind this violin is that Wallace H Hartley and his band played their instruments to keep the passengers calm until the ship sank, and the violin and case were recovered from the Atlantic and returned to Wallace H Hartley's sister in Bridlington, Yorkshire, England. 

This is the hardest watercolour I have ever painted.  It was done wet on dry to get the aged look in various browns, and the use of purple, I think, leads the eye to the violin.  I hope you like the painting and the story behind it.

'A Crab For Tea' by Graham Ibson

'A Crab For Tea' takes me back to my childhood days, when we used to go by train along the east coast of Yorkshire.  It always seemed a big adventure at the time.  This painting features the beautiful fishing village called Robin Hood’s Bay.  My sister and I would fish for crabs in the rock pools.  Really, they were too small for tea, but we had a great time anyway. 

This painting again is wet on dry, other than the rocks which are wet on wet, and I have also dropped in various colours.  The best tip I was ever given was always to remember which way the light is coming from, as this helps so much with shadows and reflections.  

Thank you for reading my blog.  If you like these paintings, then please take a look at some of my other work on the wonderful online art gallery Art Discovered Online. 


Written by Graham Ibson


No comments:

Post a Comment